October 31, 2012

Stereotypical Halloween Post...

I love Halloween! Absolutely love it. I loved it when I was a kid and I still love it now. I used to carve  four pumpkins, varying sizes every year and pretty much started planning my costumes in August!!

In college, when Halloween become more of a holiday to be a hoochie (I don't judge), I still tended to take the more traditional costume route. I remember I went to the Sheridan College pub dressed
in a full poodle skirt, backwards cardigan, white keds, ankle socks and a sky high pony tail with a red ribbon.  I was surrounded my naughty....naughty cheerleader, naughty school teacher, naughty librarian, naughty police officer...you get the picture. Apparently I didn't get the slutty Halloween memo and I felt a touch over dressed.  Ironically enough, I got hit on the most that night that I have ever been hit on in my entire life.  Apparently...MORE is less???

I have been so busy this week and this is the first Halloween in my life, I have not had my pumpkin carved and ready to go before Oct 30th.  I was going to opt out this year and not carve but that just not who I am. My mom, the sweet lady she is, brought me an Essex County pumpkin on her last visit to Toronto. Next year, I think I will opt for a crappy Toronto pumpkin. I rushed home from work tonight and started to carve with a vengeance. I had the skilled speed of a seasoned pumpkin carver but you know when you are in a rush and what can go wrong will go wrong?  Well that was me carving my pumpkin this year.  I had 30 minutes before the trick-or-treaters started to knock. It took me 20 minutes alone JUST to get the dam lid off this pumpkin and when it did finally pop off it went flying across my whole living room! I think Aston thought it was food. She was sadly disappointed.   This was the heaviest, thickest pumpkin I have ever carved.  It was FULL of guts, which we all know takes a good 30 minutes to scoop out. Unfortunately I don't get many trick-or-treaters in my part of the city so I don't get my fill of cute costumes and sugar high kids.  A 30 minute de-gutting pumpkin session was going to make me miss adorable trick-or-treaters!

I didn't go to yoga tonight but I sure didn't need it. Scooping out that pumpkin was like doing 30 Chaturanga's in a row!  Time was running out and I missed one kid while cleaning off my hands but I got it carved. Not my best work.  I only got about 10 kids all night :(


Being a yoga teacher in training this post is probably not something I should be proud of.  Pumpkin carving took all my culinary energy, so my Halloween dinner was as such:

Delicious
I believe BALANCE is the key to life. So although I don't have Doritos and Nerds every night for dinner, on a special day like Halloween I think it is perfectly acceptable...although lets see how I feel tomorrow morning.

I love pumpkin seeds and I try something new each year.  This year the spices I used were chili garlic stir fry sauce, inca fire salt, smoked garlic powder, ground pepper, fleur de sel, liquid smoke and dill.  Should be a great snack for the next two weeks!!

Hope everyone's Halloween was as fun as mine!!

Namaste xo

2 comments:

  1. The pumpkin looks great. Also your halloween dinner looked quite similar to mine. p.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pumpkin is freaky! Good job! MMMM I want a taste of those pumpkin seeds!!

    ReplyDelete