November 06, 2012

Lulu Loyalty...

I boycotted Lululemon clothing for a LONG time. I couldn't stand how people who didn't do yoga, or anything athletic for that matter, bought Lulu pants to do nothing but watch TV and loaf about the couch.  It was the price of "loafing" pants that really bugged me to do nothing but...well...loaf.  Lets be real, $100 to eat chips on the couch??? I don't think so. Lulu became more of a status symbol...like"Hey, I'm eating my  Haagen Dazs on the couch in my designer yoga pants...what are you wearing?? Walmart?? Phhft". The real question is, do Lulu pants make eating ice cream healthy?

When I started to do yoga four or five times a week, I will admit I did find it difficult to find pants that didn't ride up, roll down at the waist, get baggy after one wear, emphasize unflattering thighs and not be see thru in Uttanasana (fear of see thru pants is the reason I am usually at the back of the class)

After years of boycotting, I decided to sneak off to my local Lulu store to try on a pair of these coveted pants. I figured hey, if I DO yoga then I can justify buying a pair right? I felt like I was cheating on my prior opinions.  I had to see what everyone was talking about.

Slipping on these pants, was like slipping into a second skin. Except it's your BEST skin ever!! My usual size 12 made me feel like a size 8 and the pants are so comfy! They don't pinch or ride or slip or slide. They stay perfectly in place and look fantastic even after a few wears. After my first test drive in class, I was officially converted!

Still, I don't like being someone who buys something just because its cool. The quality and performance of Lululemon is incredible but I still like to stand out and create my own style.

I love the new modern stirrup pant that has been surfacing lately.  It's a far cry from the stirrup pants were all used to from the 80'...

Sexy *sarcasm font*


I came across this website called Wellicious. It's a yoga and lifestyle company based out of the UK. The prices are similar to Lulu's but the downside is you have to pay for shipping.  With the VAT tax taken off though, it comes to the same price.

I fell in love with these yoga tights
I got them in the mail last week and unfortunately, they are just not up to snuff.  They slip down when you bend over and don't return to their original shape after one wear. The waist is huge and I can't figure out if they are supposed to sit high or you should fold them over to create a folded waist band?  The worst part is, they are INCREDIBLY see thru. Thank goodness I checked before trotting off to class in them!

I think Wellicious is a new company and I hope they figure out some of their quality issues. The look and style is gorgeous but the execution is lacking.

I try not to wear my Lulu's for lounging...it goes against my moral code but these pants from Wellicious will sadly become loafing pants.  I wonder if they make eating ice cream healthy too? Maybe when I start teaching I could wear them to a class.  Even if I do have to bend over, at least I would be at the front of the class facing forward...I would only flash the wall my polka dot undies!

I am converted to a believer in Lululemon pants. They truly are magical.  My opinion is that the tank tops and shirts are give or take.  I mean they are nice but I don't think the shirts need as much performance as the pants do and they are a little over priced.  Lately I have been buying my yoga tops from another online retailer called Garnet Hill. They have a house brand called Zinni that makes really great tops. I wait for them to go on sale because the price is usually slashed by 70%. 

I love the colors of this top. It also wears amazing and stays snug and firmly in place while still being soft and comfy.

Garnet Hill, Zinni Collection
As much as I tried to make the yoga world a better place by breaking the norm and not wearing Lululemon yoga pants, I failed. They really are worth every penny and I have started a mini collection of my own. So congrats to Lulu for making an amazing product! 
I still try my best to only wear my Lulu's to yoga class but I will admit, I have slipped on an occasion or two and found myself loafing on the couch in them on a Saturday night. OH how things change....

Namaste xo.


2 comments:

  1. wish they came in my matronly size.....might try to buy a pair to entice me to lose some weight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know that is another reason I boycotted them. They have a strict size 12 only policy. Which I think is crap! There is quite a bit of controversy around that policy. Hopefully they will make the change to accomidate all shapes and sizes!!!

      Delete