January 28, 2013

Observing: Part One...

Tonight was such an awesome experience!! As part of my training we get to observe a teachers class of our choice. We just get to sit and watch how they teach and watch how the class reacts to her words. Tonight I chose Trish, my favourite teacher at Kula!  

I learned a few things tonight that really resonated with me as a future teacher. It's OK to make jokes with your class. Have a conversation with them. You can still be centered and
 focused, while still pointing out obvious hilarity's of life.  Laughing in a yoga class is a great release.

Another great thing I learned from Trish is to anticipate what the students may be thinking.  It was really hot in the studio tonight and very humid. Although hot yoga class is meant to make you sweat some people still feel embarrassed by it. She made a comment that she gave everyone permission to sweat.  She said let it pour and the more you sweat the better the class would be. For anyone feeling embarrassed about the volume of their sweating, that comment would totally erase any insecurities.  Oh she also mentioned that when she sweats, she sweats rainbows.  Again, going back to how great laughter is in a yoga class!

I also realized that it doesn't need to be so complicated. You don't need to fill the class with 40 postures.  She really only led the class though maybe 10-15.  She repeated the poses and really broke it down so that if the student didn't understand it the first time, they were given a second chance to get further into it the next time. Being given a second chance would boost students ego in challenging poses.

I got to watch the general tendencies of many students that I can work into my future lessons. I observed that many students crunch up their toes on their standing leg in Tree Pose which will effect their balance and grounding.  This is something I will want to address one day with my students.

It was so neat to watch Trish teach! I am totally inspired by her classes but at the same time totally intimidated as her teacher skills are madness!   It was such a great opportunity to get some class room experience. Most teachers are just thrown right into the fire and your too nervous to even notice anything to be an effective teacher.

Here is my favourite picture of Trish from her Facebook page. Such a free spirit! Such a child of the earth.


If you live in the Oakville area, you have to experience one of Trish's classes!!

Next Tuesday, I will shadow one of  Suzie's classes.  She is another favourite and teaches a totally different style of teaching from Trish.  Totally looking forward to it!

Namaste xo.

3 comments:

  1. Wicked Carrie! I just thought to stop by your blog tonight- so nice to hear what you are experiencing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your going to make a great teacher because you will teach from your heart.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on that one P, you will be the best yoga teacher.
    Love you
    Chris

    ReplyDelete