March 21, 2013

New Obsession...

I have discovered a new food obsession. Kombucha!

Kombucha is a drink made with fermented tea and the Kombucha skoby/bacteria culture or "mother".  Sometimes there can be sugar or fruit juices added for taste.

I originally bought it as a joke for my yoga teacher friend and I to drink on a Saturday night.  This is how yoga teachers party! I bet Kombucha would make a good alcohol mix come to think about it.....touch on that in another post I am sure.

Sceptical at first, I was pleasantly surprised it tasted like a mix between cider or really fizzy citrus juice. 

After doing a little research I figured this would be an amazing alternative to juice. I have a love for juice that I keep strictly forbidden!  Having juice is like eating 12 oranges without any of the fibre! Crime! I love it so but I never drink it. With a whole pint of Kombucha coming in at only 7 grams of carbohydrates and 2% sugar, I was excited. 

There are some articles on the Internet stating there can be some harm from drinking too much Kombucha.  Mostly cross contamination if the fermenting process is not done in sanitary environments. I think anything that deals with yeast and bacteria can have that warning.  You can brew it at home but I think I will leave it up to the professionals.

There also some articles on the Internet claiming so many health benefits including healing early stages of cancer.....really?? I don't know about that one.  There are some websites claiming it's the elixir of life and has been around since 200BC for medicinal purposes.

Here are some of the health benefits I could find:
  • Boost the immune system
  • Reverse the ageing process
  • Protection against joint damage
  • Contain antioxidants
  • Aids in digestions
  • Block the action of free radicals
  • Improve the body’s defences
  • Detoxify the body
  • Help repair and balance the body
  • Fight off disease
  • Protect against stress
  • Improve liver function

For me, Kombucha is just an absolutely delicious drink and I  drink it for that reason alone.  Yes it has 2000 years of tradition behind it but I wont be jugging gallons of it to improve my health.  When I am craving something sweet, a Kombucha is a great treat!  I find I can't even drink it that often or the whole bottle because it's just too fizzy.  It is also $4 a bottle...yikes!


 
This is the brand I get because its the only one I can find that doesn't add extra sugar of any kind besides fruit juice. All the other brands contain cane sugar.

It can be found at most organic stores and Whole Foods.  If you stumble across it, I encourage you to try it.  Unlike wine, Kombucha doesn't leave you with a wicked hangover Sunday morning!

Namaste xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment