January 23, 2013

Cool Website...

I always notice when there is a new, latest and greatest Superfood that is hitting the market. It's all we hear about until the newest Superfood comes out.  But really, how good are these Superfoods?? Are they just marketers or "snake oil" salesmen getting together trying to make a buck??

As my other post on Chia seeds, I am sold on them, scientific facts or not. I personally like what they do for me.  The newest one I have been hearing about is Hemp Hearts.  What I read was "HEMP HEARTS™ (shelled hemp seeds) are the Most Concentrated and Best Balanced Source of Proteins, Essential Fats and Vitamins in Nature." Read more HERE.



As I am one to try anything, I bought a small 30g pack.  They are delicious!! Very nutty tasting.  I added them to my Greek yogurt for breakfast and I can say I was full until lunch.  I would enjoy them much more than my protein powder as it is a more natural source and frankly, just tastes better. Not that I would need a protein replacement while eating Greek yogurt as it is pretty high in protein anyways but it was the first thing I had on hand to try it with.

Each latest and greatest that comes out, is apparently the "best source in nature", "the highest concentration", "the best thing EVER" etc. etc.   How can everything new be the best?? I try to look up information to make sure I am not wasting my money but I tend to gravitate to things that are easy to use and I can see the benefits working for me.

On one of my Internet searches I stumbled across a great website called Nutrition Data, know what you eat. It's pretty cool! It gives you a full breakdown of the foods you like including the nutrition facts, nutrition target, caloric ratio, glycemic load, inflammation factor, nutrient balance, protein quality and much more.  You can create a entire meal with this website and make it completely nutritionally balanced. The inflammation factor is awesome! I hate taking my doctor prescribed anti-inflammatories, so I am guessing that avoiding high inflammation foods when my back hurts couldn't hurt right? 

I am by no means a nutritionist or have any authority to make any claims on this stuff. I am a regular consumer falling for the same Superfood gimmicks as everyone else. I do find this website helpful for someone who isn't trained in nutrition and to be better informed than the average consumer.

When I looked up hemp hearts, I wasn't impressed with the data compared to my Chia seeds and I, personally, can only jump on one "band-wagon" at a time!   So it looks like I am still riding the Chia seed train! Choo Choo Chia!

Namaste xo.

1 comment:

  1. Chia seeds make pack a more nutritional all around punch...but those Hemp hearts are delicious. They remind me of tiny pine nuts.
    p

    ReplyDelete